Monday, August 17, 2009

satisfaction? no!

So, I had a mile-stone birthday recently. The anticipated Twenty-One. It's been the age more exciting to me than even 18! It meant true freedom of choice was mine. At least, in relation to the beverage category! I've yet to have the stereotypical, crazy night of celebration. Kyle did take me out to dinner at West First, a little wood-fire baked pizza restaurant. It's the offspring of the Flat Rock Bakery, which makes wonderful breads and such in a wood fired oven. We had delicious pizza and beer and wine (beer for the Man and wine for the Girl). Afterwards we walked around Main Street, hand in hand, conversing in the way the alcohol, ease, relaxation, and happiness promote. I had such a feeling of pure satisfaction in my life and love. This is what I always dreamed of: living well, loved, secure, doing 'adult' things, responsible. Simple yes. But not always attainable.
The feeling that burst to the surface that night had been slowly building. From the insecurities about my job situation, the apprehension of interviewing and learning new habits and tasks, to comprehension and confidence as my job knowledge increased, to a new level of satisfaction and joy in my life.
It almost feels like I've reached what my angsty teenage self longed for all those hormone-filled and mentally exhausting years. I feel...grown up. And it feels great!

4 comments:

Amethyst said...

Ah, grownup-ness. It's pretty crazy, but pretty wonderful in alot of ways. I'm excited about our wednesday lunch! I think the last time we had lunch I wasn't even dating Andrew yet :)

Amethyst said...

It is still so weird to me that you're married! and you're only just turned 21! I always think that you're older than me for some reason... weird. See you tomorrow!

Laura said...

Really? Wow! I guess my percieved higher age is a good thing?
And we take too much between lunches!

Organic Meatbag said...

Awwww, happy belated birthday!!