Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Doppelganger

I've been running into the word "doppelganger" all over the place recently. First in the book "Atmospheric Disturbances" by Rivka Galchen. A good read by the way. And then just randomly in articles on the internet, blog posts.
Apparently, it's a German word that literally means "double goer" and refers to a double, or look-alike person. Wikipedia also says that it can describe the "sensation of having glimpsed oneself in peripheral vision, in a position where there is no chance that it could have been a reflection." I know I've had that sensation before. Not so much in the foreboding sense that Wikipedia further expounds on, but in one where I am momentarily outside of myself, looking into my life and self from a foreign place. It's such a rare thing--I can onlu think of twice when I've felt that way, and it always seems to be an objective contemplation of myself.

The mind is amazing. And scary. And awesome.

Happy 2009!

2 comments:

Rosie the Cat said...

Hmm, being your own doppleganger...that is freaky. The mind can be our best friend and our worst enemy. We don't have a mind; it has US!

Laura said...

Oo...that is good...our minds have us.
0.o