Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"You took a trip and climbed a tree..."

Lately has been one of those times where, despite the weariness and constant doing, going, planning, and lack of rest, I am plodding on more-or-less happily.

This past weekend I had the honor of being a part of my friend Erin's wedding. We had such a great group of bridesmaids and had a great time doing all the bridal party stuff!



It was amazing watching Erin and Ryan through the ceremony, their love, devotion, and excitement is so vi sable! It made me even more appreciative of my own love and our marriage.

On Sunday Kyle and I took off for the Parkway, taking a new route through Pisgah Forest.



(Kyle at Devil's Courthouse)

We ended up walking about 10 miles, from Beech Gap, to Devils Courthouse, to Black Balsam and back. It felt so good to walk in the sun, looking into the valley and at the mountains spreading out for miles, talking, being so happy to be with each other, and taking satisfaction in our Merrill hiking shoes (get some!).

Being outside in temperate weather is probably my favorite thing. It feels so good to be active and alive! I'm excited too, for Kyle and I have grand hiking plans this year!

I'm growing more and more aware of my connectivity to the mountains and how I love the land I live in. Just as a human needs food and water to live, I need those mountains. Seeing them as I drive around town calms me, while also building the longing to go to the mountains. And in the winter, when there are maybe 5 people in a 30 mile radius (if that even), when all I hear is the wind leaping over the ridges and sliding into the valleys, and I'm looking out on the grey and blue mountains that go on until they blend in to the sky and the sky itself even more impressive beyond, I feel pure and complete awe, peace, and possession. There are no tourists gawking at my beautiful mountains, and I can relax in the shared solitude with Kyle.

I'm pretty excited about this weekend too....2 days with Kyle and predicted tempatures in the 60's! What more could I want in February?

Here I go!

2 comments:

Morningtower said...

Remember me when you are in these amazing mountains that you describe so perfectly when I am ultimately exiled to Siberia. . .I mean, Texas. Remind the mountains that I love them and will someday find my way back. . .

Laura said...

Of course!